Friday, September 5, 2014

What's for Dinner: Singapore Noodles

As you might recall, our last grocery shopping trip left us with an epic ton of rice noodles.  We had already eaten some stir-fry over noodles and some rice noodle soup (inspired by pho), but we wanted to try something a little different.  So when David found a recipe for Singapore noodles, I knew what I had to try for dinner. 

Singapore noodles are a popular dish in Chinese restaurants, both in America and in China.  Curiously, they're not popular in Singapore.  Go figure. 

Basically, Singapore noodles are stir-fried rice noodles mixed with various ingredients -- the exact mix is up to you, but the key ingredient is curry powder.  This hint of Indian seasoning gives it some kick and a lot of personality. 

I followed the recipe linked above except I made it on the stovetop, sauteeing the vegetables until soft and adding lots of liquid to aid in cooking/prevent sticking (this created sort of a saucy base).  I added my noodles directly to that, added the spices (I used garam masala for the curry powder), stirred it all together and let it sit to soak up the sauce.  Then I garnished with green onions. 

Overall, it turned out pretty delicious.  It was very spicy!  In the future, I think I would make the sauce thicker and pour it over a noodle base rather than mixing it all together.  Traditionally, this can be served with any number of meats, and I personally think it would be perfect with shrimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment